Pistang Pilipino 2019 sa Hamilton from 25-27 October included the following:
1. Friday 25 October 6.30-8pm: There will be an opening night welcome for guests, Federation Officers, team representatives, sponsors and others. Hon. Minister of Ethnic Communities Jenny Salesa will be the guest speaker. Meanwhile, the Youth will also have a Friday Gimik at The Zeal.
2. Sports competitions on Saturday and Sunday in venues across the city. There will be 94 basketball teams competing in seven categories at Hamilton Boys High School, The Peak, Unirec, and YMCA. Volleyball at Fraser High School has 30 teams. Badminton at Eastlink has over 300 registrations. Bowling at Skycity has 15 teams. There will also be billiards, darts, table tennis, chess and futsal.
3. Kainan, Musika Atbp (food, music and others). Just like the ‘fiestas’ back home, food and music cannot be missed. During the day, there will over 20 Filipino food and information stalls plus an ongoing variety of entertainment at Hamilton Boys High School.
4. Pulong-pulong (Community forum). This is in collaboration with the Philippine Embassy with speakers on immigration, employment/exploitation, union membership and embassy services.
5. Culture Night and TFC Sama Saya Kapamilya. TFC joins the Waikato Filipino Association and Philippine Airlines to bring ‘Sama Saya Kapamilya’ with the Philippines’ Prince of Soul, Jason Dy, on the celebration of their 25th anniversary. Tickets will be $10.
6. Miss Philippines-NZ pageant at Southwell School Performing Arts Centre is a highlight of the event on Sunday 7 to 11pm. Tickets will be $20.
WFA is excited to host this event which could only be possible with the support of funders such as Hamilton City Council, Office of Ethnic Communities, DIA – Lottery Grant, Trust Waikato, Wel Energy Trust, and Four Winds Foundation plus sponsors such as Orbit Remit, Pino Plus, Tibiao Catering, New Zealand Home Loans, 2Cheap Cars, CC Recruitment, Doterra, Roland Automotive with media partners Filipino Migrant News and Pinoy NZ Life.
Report follows in Filipino Migrant News www.filipinonew.nz